Our passion, our approach, our family...
Growing up on my family’s small farm created some of my best childhood memories. We had a milk cow named Jersey, lots of chickens, geese, rabbits, horses and a pet pig. We drank milk that was only a few hours old that we had to “shake” before pouring because the thick layer of cream rose to the top. We gathered eggs every day and shared with the neighbors.
My husband Dave learned at an early age from his mother, Irene to preserve and store vegetables from the garden. He still cans numerous quarts of tomatoes from our garden every summer. As kids we were eating off the land, and little did I realize that we were eating like kings! Dave and I both know what purity tastes like, and our farm life taught us hard work, dedication, and patience.
This deep experience is what helped to establish our Core Values here at Achatz Pies; from teaching our next generation of pie makers and passing down traditions, to purchasing and using pure, all-natural ingredients from many local Michigan farms.
In 1993, we began selling our pies at local farmers markets and quickly learned that we could barely keep up with demand. Business was booming, so we bought a nearby apple orchard and opened our very first pie shop. Achatz Handmade Pie Company was officially born. Our “family farm” approach means that we take pride in always using the best ingredients and producing the best possible pies.
Real pie making is much like running a small family farm; it takes time, patience, hard work, dedication and a whole lot of passion.
Join us as we celebrate 25 years in business, teaching and passing down our family traditions to the next generation.
All Our Best,
Check out founder Wendy Achatz's Youtube channel to see how her and Dave started their little pie business out of their home, and hear more stories about the 25 year journey. She also shares advice on how to start your own food business.
- Why are you closed on Saturday?
- Since our beginning in 1993, our stores have been closed on Saturday. Our family is Seventh - day Adventist and we enjoy this special day of rest.
- How do you pronounce "Achatz"?
- The actual pronunciation is (ak'its). When in doubt, remember that it rhymes with 'jackets.'
- Are any of your pies vegan?
- All of our double crust fruit pies are made with no dairy or animal products.
- How can I place a special order?
- The easiest way to place a special order is through our online store section. You can also call the store where you wish to pick the pie up.
- Questions about pies-that-fly
- We ship anywhere in the United States. Please see online store for when and how pies are shipped. For order-specific information, please reply to your confirmation email to reach our internet sales department or call our headquarters at (586)-749-2882.
- Can I purchase an Achatz pie shop?
- Yes, we are happy to offer our loyal customers the opportunity to own their own pie shop. Please fill out a customer feedback form!
In the Detroit area for business and decided to find out where you were located. My husband and I went to the Ann Arbor location and tried several flavors of pie and the lemon cookies. Everything was so delicious, but I have to say the four berry pie was by far my favorite! I wanted a slice of cherry pie, but they didn't have an individual slice available. I was very pleased when the women working offered to slice up one of the pies for me! These pies are definitely worth the trip!
My Krogers started carrying your pies. they had 2 of the chicken pot pies. I bought one and it was so good, I went and bought the other one they had. I am a Senior citizen and we play cards and the ladies loved them. the problem is we cannot find them,. Our Krogers store in Walled Lake, Mi had the berry pies but haven't had any of the chicken pies in about 2 weeks. Talked to the manager but no luck yet. Also would love to try the cannoli Pie. Our store just has the berry pies
Merry Christmas to you All!!! And thank you for making such Fantastic Pies; everytime my fiance from Bloomfield Hills comes to visit she packs up one of your Rubarb pies and brings it to Minnesota!! We greatly appreciate your quality!!!
My husband and I visited your store for the first time during your Oscar party. We bought the four berry pie, which was instantly devoured the moment we got home. We managed to save some for tonight. I have never tasted a pie that is ever so delicious!!! I have to say, we are hooked!
I recently moved to Troy Michigan and I came across the Pie shp while geting my driver's license changed at te DMV. The person behind the counter was very nice and we had a few samples. Having tried 2 -3 samples that day, I ended up buying a few slices of different ones. My son's favorite is the chocolate cream pie and my daughter's was the strawberry cream pie. I LOVE your coconut cream pie!!! They are so good! I am definitely going there again and again!
In the Press
- Hour Magazine,
Pie's the Limit
- Ann Arbor Observer, The Pies Have It
- Bon Appetit, Thanksgiving Pie Baking Tips
- Bon Appetit,The Top 10 Best Places for Pie
- Good Morning America Weekend, Best Slice Finalist
- Edward Lowe Foundation, Michigan 50 Companies to Watch
- Food Network, Compilation Reel
- Co Founder, Wendy Achatz, was inducted in the Macomb Hall of Fame on 10/1/12
- Detroit Free Press, Achatz Pies to Greatly Expand Via Franchies
- MLive: Michigan's Best Pie
30301 Commerce Blvd.
Chesterfield, MI 48041