Our passion, our approach, our family...
Growing up on my family’s small farm created some of my best childhood memories. We had a milk cow named Jersey, lots of chickens, geese, rabbits, horses and a pet pig. We drank milk that was only a few hours old that we had to “shake” before pouring because the thick layer of cream rose to the top. We gathered eggs every day and shared with the neighbors.
My husband Dave learned at an early age from his mother, Irene to preserve and store vegetables from the garden. He still cans numerous quarts of tomatoes from our garden every summer. As kids we were eating off the land, and little did I realize that we were eating like kings! Dave and I both know what purity tastes like, and our farm life taught us hard work, dedication, and patience.
This deep experience is what helped to establish our Core Values here at Achatz Pies; from teaching our next generation of pie makers and passing down traditions, to purchasing and using pure, all-natural ingredients from many local Michigan farms.
In 1993, we began selling our pies at local farmers markets and quickly learned that we could barely keep up with demand. Business was booming, so we bought a nearby apple orchard and opened our very first pie shop. Achatz Handmade Pie Company was officially born. Our “family farm” approach means that we take pride in always using the best ingredients and producing the best possible pies.
Real pie making is much like running a small family farm; it takes time, patience, hard work, dedication and a whole lot of passion.
Join us as we celebrate 25 years in business, teaching and passing down our family traditions to the next generation.
All Our Best,
Check out founder Wendy Achatz's Youtube channel to see how her and Dave started their little pie business out of their home, and hear more stories about the 25 year journey. She also shares advice on how to start your own food business.
- Why are you closed on Saturday?
- Since our beginning in 1993, our stores have been closed on Saturday. Our family is Seventh - day Adventist and we enjoy this special day of rest.
- How do you pronounce "Achatz"?
- The actual pronunciation is (ak'its). When in doubt, remember that it rhymes with 'jackets.'
- Are any of your pies vegan?
- All of our double crust fruit pies are made with no dairy or animal products.
- How can I place a special order?
- The easiest way to place a special order is through our online store section. You can also call the store where you wish to pick the pie up.
- Questions about pies-that-fly
- We ship anywhere in the United States. Please see online store for when and how pies are shipped. For order-specific information, please reply to your confirmation email to reach our internet sales department or call our headquarters at (586)-749-2882.
- Can I purchase an Achatz pie shop?
- Yes, we are happy to offer our loyal customers the opportunity to own their own pie shop. Please fill out a customer feedback form!
I tried the lobster pot pie and omg! It's to die for! The flavors just meld together perfectly. There are chunks of lobster in it and plenty of them.
I just wanted to say how wonderful your pies are. My mother used to bake pies and your pies bring back memories of her. They are delicious. Thank you for providing such a quality product. Bravo!
I purchased your frozen pie crusts at Hillers. I want to let you know that I feel it is the best ready made crust I have used. Better than the national brand I usually use for my pies and tarts. I loved the fact that it was made in Michigan. I will continue to use your crusts.
We love your pies! The four berry pie is our favorite. So, you can imagine our surprise and disappointment when after purchasing what we thought was a four berry pie from your Ann Arbor store for a dinner party, we discovered when serving, it was an apple pie. The box was labeled four berry and was selected by your employee but alas, it was your almost equally delicious apple pie, not a four berry. This is not intended to complain but to let you know that four berry fanatics accept no substitutes.
Your pies are alll so good! We love them because the crust is just right and the filling is not too sweet.
In the Press
- Hour Magazine,
Pie's the Limit
- Ann Arbor Observer, The Pies Have It
- Bon Appetit, Thanksgiving Pie Baking Tips
- Bon Appetit,The Top 10 Best Places for Pie
- Good Morning America Weekend, Best Slice Finalist
- Edward Lowe Foundation, Michigan 50 Companies to Watch
- Food Network, Compilation Reel
- Co Founder, Wendy Achatz, was inducted in the Macomb Hall of Fame on 10/1/12
- Detroit Free Press, Achatz Pies to Greatly Expand Via Franchies
- MLive: Michigan's Best Pie
30301 Commerce Blvd.
Chesterfield, MI 48041