Pie making is becoming a lost art, but at Achatz Handmade Pie Company, we still do things the old-fashioned way. Many of our recipes were passed down through the generations, and we continue the tradition by using the same techniques learned in childhood.We started baking in 1993 in our Victorian home in Armada, Michigan. After moving our operation to a neighborhood, ten-acre apple orchard, Achatz Handmade Pie Company was officially born.
We have been featured on television on Food Network, The Rachael Ray Show, The Today Show, and Good Morning America Weekend and in magazines like Bon Appétit and Food & Wine. And, even though we have won numerous national and local awards, our pies remain down-to-earth, all natural, and wholesome.
Our Handmade Pies
Our mission is to create the best pies that stand up to the highest standards of quality, purity, and goodness. We care about what we bring to your table. We never use canned fruit and use every opportunity to source locally grown ingredients. Our cream pies are made from scratch using pure butter, pure vanilla, and fresh local whole milk. We focus on excellence and produce a pie that we believe is simply the best. At Achatz Handmade Pie Company, we know extra-care and extra-effort make an extra-delicious pie!
- Why are you closed on Saturday?
- Since our beginning in 1993, our stores have been closed on Saturday. Our family is Seventh - day Adventist and we enjoy this special day of rest.
- How do you pronounce "Achatz"?
- The actual pronunciation is (ak'its). When in doubt, remember that it rhymes with 'jackets.'
- Are any of your pies vegan?
- All of our double crust fruit pies are made with no dairy or animal products.
- How can I place a special order?
- The easiest way to place a special order is through our online store section. You can also call the store where you wish to pick the pie up.
- Questions about pies-that-fly
- We ship anywhere in the United States. Please see online store for when and how pies are shipped. For order-specific information, please reply to your confirmation email to reach our internet sales department or call our headquarters at (586)-749-2882.
- Can I purchase an Achatz pie shop?
- Yes, we are happy to offer our loyal customers the opportunity to own their own pie shop. Please fill out a customer feedback form!
Had your banana cream pie for new years eve and just finished the chicken pot pie for tonights dinner. both these pies were simply wonderful. the banana cream so fresh and full of fruit, loads of whipped cream. the chicken pot pie was old-fashioned wholesome. we will definetly be visiting again. keep up the good work.
as a navy veteran and navy retiree I thank you for your generosity to the veterans on NOV 11,veterans day.
I wanted to thank Achatz for having outstanding Customer Service (Renee Brown) and supporting the military community. After not being able to get a pie on veterans day, due to an early morning sell out (speaks for your pies), I was able to get a pie today with your help. I have been enjoying your pies every week and will continue to do so. THANKS!
I purchased your frozen pie crusts at Hillers. I want to let you know that I feel it is the best ready made crust I have used. Better than the national brand I usually use for my pies and tarts. I loved the fact that it was made in Michigan. I will continue to use your crusts.
Hi: My husband and I discovered Achatz last year, at the South Loop Chicago Whole Foods. I don't even know how many pies and slices we have bought over the last 14 months but it's a lot. We serve your pies at our dinner parties. We bring them to other peoples' dinner parties. We buy slices on weeknights just because they're SO GOOD. We have never had better pie, ever. The only issue we are now having is that my husband's favorite is your lemon meringue and Whole Foods has ceased having it this year. We have talked to all of their managers and they say that the issue is on your end. We have even been to the new Plum Market in Chicago and asked them for help. They said they called you and you won't do it. So, I'm writing to ask what exactly the issue is with lemon meringue coming to Chicago? You seem to send all of your other cream pies to Whole Foods. Is it an issue of popularity? Does it not sell well? Is the re no way we can special order it? We are starting to think that the only way we can get one again is to come to Michigan sometime. Please let us know. And thank you for such deliciousness!!
In the Press
- Hour Magazine,
Pie's the Limit
- Ann Arbor Observer, The Pies Have It
- Bon Appetit, Thanksgiving Pie Baking Tips
- Bon Appetit,The Top 10 Best Places for Pie
- Good Morning America Weekend, Best Slice Finalist
- Edward Lowe Foundation, Michigan 50 Companies to Watch
- Food Network, Compilation Reel
- Co Founder, Wendy Achatz, was inducted in the Macomb Hall of Fame on 10/1/12
- Detroit Free Press, Achatz Pies to Greatly Expand Via Franchies
- MLive: Michigan's Best Pie
30301 Commerce Blvd.
Chesterfield, MI 48041