Pie making may soon become a lost art but at Achatz Handmade Pie Co. we still do things the old fashioned way. Many of our recipes have been passed through generations, and we continue the tradition by sharing the same handmade techniques instilled in our childhood.
Achatz pies are made with pure and natural ingredients; we never use chemicals, preservatives or hydrogenated oils. And most of our fruit, flour, sugar and dairy is purchased from local farms. These values result in a top quality product even grandma can be proud of.
We started baking in 1993 from our Victorian home in Armada, Michigan. After moving our operation to a nearby ten-acre apple orchard, Achatz Handmade Pie Co. was officially born. To this day we've maintained our high standards to produce a pie that we believe is simply the best.
Our pies have been featured on “Food Network”, the “Rachael Ray Show”, “The Today Show” and “Good Morning America Weekend.” We have also been featured in “Bon Appétit” magazine and “Food & Wine” magazine. Even though we have won numerous national and local awards, our pies are still down-to-earth, all natural and wholesome. We're keeping it real and we invite you to taste the difference.
Our Handmade Pies
Our mission has always been to create the best pies money can buy. Our tender, flaky crust and real fruit fillings merge with as many locally-grown ingredients as available to create a pie that's fresh and natural. It's no wonder “Detroit News” food writer Kate Lawson has stated, "Achatz makes the best pies you'll ever eat."
Achatz Handmade Pie Co. cares about what we bring to your kitchen. We continue to stand up to the highest standards for quality, purity and goodness. Our cream pies are made from scratch using pure butter, pure vanilla and fresh local whole milk. We never use canned fruit and find every opportunity to use locally grown produce. And if you can't have sugar, we also have fruit juice sweetened pies available. We know extra care and extra effort make an extra delicious pie!
Working at Achatz Handmade Pie Co. is a fun and rewarding experience. Our "little" pie shop continues to grow and offer more opportunities for new employees to come aboard and help us take our business to the next level. If you are interested in becoming a part of the Achatz team, please fill out an easy online application.
Whether you are seeking a position as a managing partner, store manager, IT or marketing professional, retail associate, delivery driver, or a role in our food preparation and packaging team, we encourage you to apply. We are always seeking top talent to help our company improve.
- Why are you closed on Saturday?
- Since our beginning in 1993, our stores have been closed on Saturday. Our family is Seventh - day Adventist and we enjoy this special day of rest.
- How do you pronounce "Achatz"?
- The actual pronunciation is (ak'its). When in doubt, remember that it rhymes with 'jackets.'
- Are any of your pies vegan?
- All of our double crust fruit pies are made with no dairy or animal products.
- How can I place a special order?
- The easiest way to place a special order is through our online store section. You can also call the store where you wish to pick the pie up.
- Questions about pies-that-fly
- We ship anywhere in the United States. Please see online store for when and how pies are shipped. For order-specific information, please reply to your confirmation email to reach our internet sales department or call our headquarters at (586)-749-2882.
- Can I purchase an Achatz pie shop?
- Yes, we are happy to offer our loyal customers the opportunity to own their own pie shop. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Regards from a vet....
I am not normally a sweets person, but your berry pie is exceptional!!!! It actually tastes like fruit, not colored sugar. When go to someone's home for dinner or entertain, the berry pie is what I take or serve. Please don't change anything...it is perfect.
Sweet Potato Pies, I usually by the achatz pies from Whole Foods on Halsted in Chicago. My favorite types of pie are apple and sweet potato. I don't eat fruit pies because i do not like have taste for them. My favorite achatz pie is the sweet potato. It is amazing. But Whole Foods only carried it during Thanksgiving. And I noticed that the Achatz website does not carry it. Why? Can you all please let me know when you are going to make those again? Thank you.
To the pie makers;
I recently purchased and consumed, with help from my wife, a Michigan 4 Berry pie from the Whole Foods store in Naperville, Illinois. I am 77 years old and I must admit that your pie was better then my mother's home made pies, that I used to think, could not be bettered. I must admit that you have a new Achatz pie addict. Looking forward to some excellent desserts in the future, I remain.
The other day we went to the Oxford store and was informed about the deal of buying 8 packaged pieces for the price of a pie. Splendid Idea. After leaving the store and enjoying my selection of pie with a fresh pot of coffee, I thought it would be a copywrite moment for you folks to label Fridays as Fantasy Pie Friday. Everybody needs an excuse for this guilty pleasure. Just thinking.
Hall Of Fame
Co Founder, Wendy Achatz, was inducted in the Macomb Hall of Fame on 10/1/12.
- Ingredients Arriving For Senior Center Pie Fundraiser – “Patch.com”
- Where the locals eat in Chicago – “USA TODAY”
- My life in food: Matt Gillan, Head chef, “The Pass” – “The Independent”
- Katsu, Kuma's Corner, Topolobampo rated among Chicago's top restaurants by ... - Voices
- Made in Michigan Market to Feature Local Products, Music and Charity Hockey ... – “Patch.com”
- Ann Arbor Grand Opening (doc)
- See Art, Get Pie (doc)
- Achatz Handmade Pie Co Welcomes Ann Arbor Store (doc)
- Mini Pies Give Fresh New Look to Wedding Scene (doc)
In the Press
- Hour Magazine, Pie's the Limit
- Detroit News, Creamy Twist on Tradition
- Ann Arbor Observer, The Pies Have It
- The Oprah Blog, A Slice of Heaven ... Straight to Your Door
- Bon Appetit, Thanksgiving Pie Baking Tips
- Food & Wine, America's Best Pie Spots
- Detroit Free Press, 50 Defining Foods of Detroit
- Rachael Ray Show, Rach's Pumpkin Pie Picks
- Midwest Living, Our Favorite Fall Pie Recipes
- Good Morning America Weekend, Best Slice Finalist
- Edward Lowe Foundation, Michigan 50 Companies to Watch
- Food Network, Compilation Reel
30301 Commerce Blvd.
Chesterfield, MI 48041