Our passion, our approach, our family...
Growing up on my family’s small farm created some of my best childhood memories. We had a milk cow named Jersey, lots of chickens, geese, rabbits, horses and a pet pig. We drank milk that was only a few hours old that we had to “shake” before pouring because the thick layer of cream rose to the top. We gathered eggs every day and shared with the neighbors.
My husband Dave learned at an early age from his mother, Irene to preserve and store vegetables from the garden. He still cans numerous quarts of tomatoes from our garden every summer. As kids we were eating off the land, and little did I realize that we were eating like kings! Dave and I both know what purity tastes like, and our farm life taught us hard work, dedication, and patience.
This deep experience is what helped to establish our Core Values here at Achatz Pies; from teaching our next generation of pie makers and passing down traditions, to purchasing and using pure, all-natural ingredients from many local Michigan farms.
In 1993, we began selling our pies at local farmers markets and quickly learned that we could barely keep up with demand. Business was booming, so we bought a nearby apple orchard and opened our very first pie shop. Achatz Handmade Pie Company was officially born. Our “family farm” approach means that we take pride in always using the best ingredients and producing the best possible pies.
Real pie making is much like running a small family farm; it takes time, patience, hard work, dedication and a whole lot of passion.
Join us as we celebrate 25 years in business, teaching and passing down our family traditions to the next generation.
All Our Best,
Check out founder Wendy Achatz's Youtube channel to see how her and Dave started their little pie business out of their home, and hear more stories about the 25 year journey. She also shares advice on how to start your own food business.
- Why are you closed on Saturday?
- Since our beginning in 1993, our stores have been closed on Saturday. Our family is Seventh - day Adventist and we enjoy this special day of rest.
- How do you pronounce "Achatz"?
- The actual pronunciation is (ak'its). When in doubt, remember that it rhymes with 'jackets.'
- Are any of your pies vegan?
- All of our double crust fruit pies are made with no dairy or animal products.
- How can I place a special order?
- The easiest way to place a special order is through our online store section. You can also call the store where you wish to pick the pie up.
- Questions about pies-that-fly
- We ship anywhere in the United States. Please see online store for when and how pies are shipped. For order-specific information, please reply to your confirmation email to reach our internet sales department or call our headquarters at (586)-749-2882.
- Can I purchase an Achatz pie shop?
- Yes, we are happy to offer our loyal customers the opportunity to own their own pie shop. Please fill out a customer feedback form!
Our family has grown to love your pies. It's diffcult at times to stray away from our favorites but there's never a risk of being disappointed!
they were sooo yummy,.
My uncle and aunt visit every summer from North Carolina. Last year I purchased a Michigan 4 Berry pie. When dessert time came, my uncle indicated that he did not usually like pie very much. I guaranteed him that he would like this one. He took one bite and said "I gotta say, this is the best pie I've ever had." He is 73 years old, so I think it's safe to say he has eaten a lot of pie.
Renee, Renee, i received your gift card and have already used it for one of your pecan pies which was FABULOUS. Renee, thank you for your concern in this matter. Look forward to enjoying your product for many moons. Thanks again.
Had your banana cream pie for new years eve and just finished the chicken pot pie for tonights dinner. both these pies were simply wonderful. the banana cream so fresh and full of fruit, loads of whipped cream. the chicken pot pie was old-fashioned wholesome. we will definetly be visiting again. keep up the good work.
In the Press
- Hour Magazine,
Pie's the Limit
- Ann Arbor Observer, The Pies Have It
- Bon Appetit, Thanksgiving Pie Baking Tips
- Bon Appetit,The Top 10 Best Places for Pie
- Good Morning America Weekend, Best Slice Finalist
- Edward Lowe Foundation, Michigan 50 Companies to Watch
- Food Network, Compilation Reel
- Co Founder, Wendy Achatz, was inducted in the Macomb Hall of Fame on 10/1/12
- Detroit Free Press, Achatz Pies to Greatly Expand Via Franchies
- MLive: Michigan's Best Pie
30301 Commerce Blvd.
Chesterfield, MI 48041