Pie making is becoming a lost art, but at Achatz Handmade Pie Company, we still do things the old-fashioned way. Many of our recipes were passed down through the generations, and we continue the tradition by using the same techniques learned in childhood.We started baking in 1993 in our Victorian home in Armada, Michigan. After moving our operation to a neighborhood, ten-acre apple orchard, Achatz Handmade Pie Company was officially born.
We have been featured on television on Food Network, The Rachael Ray Show, The Today Show, and Good Morning America Weekend and in magazines like Bon Appétit and Food & Wine. And, even though we have won numerous national and local awards, our pies remain down-to-earth, all natural, and wholesome.
Our Handmade Pies
Our mission is to create the best pies that stand up to the highest standards of quality, purity, and goodness. We care about what we bring to your table. We never use canned fruit and use every opportunity to source locally grown ingredients. Our cream pies are made from scratch using pure butter, pure vanilla, and fresh local whole milk. We focus on excellence and produce a pie that we believe is simply the best. At Achatz Handmade Pie Company, we know extra-care and extra-effort make an extra-delicious pie!
- Why are you closed on Saturday?
- Since our beginning in 1993, our stores have been closed on Saturday. Our family is Seventh - day Adventist and we enjoy this special day of rest.
- How do you pronounce "Achatz"?
- The actual pronunciation is (ak'its). When in doubt, remember that it rhymes with 'jackets.'
- Are any of your pies vegan?
- All of our double crust fruit pies are made with no dairy or animal products.
- How can I place a special order?
- The easiest way to place a special order is through our online store section. You can also call the store where you wish to pick the pie up.
- Questions about pies-that-fly
- We ship anywhere in the United States. Please see online store for when and how pies are shipped. For order-specific information, please reply to your confirmation email to reach our internet sales department or call our headquarters at (586)-749-2882.
- Can I purchase an Achatz pie shop?
- Yes, we are happy to offer our loyal customers the opportunity to own their own pie shop. Please fill out a customer feedback form!
Thank you for the unexpected gift for Veterans. It was totally unexpected.
The lemon meringue pie I purchased a couple weeks ago was the best I've ever had! (sorry Grandma). My hunt for the perfect lemon meringue pie has been going on for years, and I find it in my backyard at Achatz! The lemon was just tart enough, and the meringue was not sugary and did not melt.
I ordered two pies as Christmas gifts for our daughter living in Los Angeles. I was assured by the woman to took my order that the pies would arrive in good shape (frozen) in a couple of days. Bad weather made me suspicious. My husband called Achatz and spoke with Renee who gave him tracking numbers for the pies. Sure enough, they were delivered in two days.....Bravo Achatz and USPS! Merry Christmas and thanks for great service.
We only recently discovered your pies and I am so glad that we did. They have been the only thing at all appealing to me since I have been ill. My husband makes a pie trip once or twice a week just for me! My favorite is the berry pie, but I admit that is the only one except cherry and apple (both delicious) that I have tried. I'm a farm "girl" and home made pies have a high standard where I come from and yours are among the very best. Thank you.
We bought our first pie from you from the shop you had several years ago. We were hooked from the start. Now I try to take advantage of the specials you offer and stock up on pies I can put in my freezer. Love your fruit pies, especially the fresh peach ones you make in late summer
In the Press
- Hour Magazine,
Pie's the Limit
- Ann Arbor Observer, The Pies Have It
- Bon Appetit, Thanksgiving Pie Baking Tips
- Bon Appetit,The Top 10 Best Places for Pie
- Good Morning America Weekend, Best Slice Finalist
- Edward Lowe Foundation, Michigan 50 Companies to Watch
- Food Network, Compilation Reel
- Co Founder, Wendy Achatz, was inducted in the Macomb Hall of Fame on 10/1/12
- Detroit Free Press, Achatz Pies to Greatly Expand Via Franchies
- MLive: Michigan's Best Pie
30301 Commerce Blvd.
Chesterfield, MI 48041