Pie making is becoming a lost art, but at Achatz Handmade Pie Company, we still do things the old-fashioned way. Many of our recipes were passed down through the generations, and we continue the tradition by using the same techniques learned in childhood.We started baking in 1993 in our Victorian home in Armada, Michigan. After moving our operation to a neighborhood, ten-acre apple orchard, Achatz Handmade Pie Company was officially born.
We have been featured on television on Food Network, The Rachael Ray Show, The Today Show, and Good Morning America Weekend and in magazines like Bon Appétit and Food & Wine. And, even though we have won numerous national and local awards, our pies remain down-to-earth, all natural, and wholesome.
Our Handmade Pies
Our mission is to create the best pies that stand up to the highest standards of quality, purity, and goodness. We care about what we bring to your table. We never use canned fruit and use every opportunity to source locally grown ingredients. Our cream pies are made from scratch using pure butter, pure vanilla, and fresh local whole milk. We focus on excellence and produce a pie that we believe is simply the best. At Achatz Handmade Pie Company, we know extra-care and extra-effort make an extra-delicious pie!
- Why are you closed on Saturday?
- Since our beginning in 1993, our stores have been closed on Saturday. Our family is Seventh - day Adventist and we enjoy this special day of rest.
- How do you pronounce "Achatz"?
- The actual pronunciation is (ak'its). When in doubt, remember that it rhymes with 'jackets.'
- Are any of your pies vegan?
- All of our double crust fruit pies are made with no dairy or animal products.
- How can I place a special order?
- The easiest way to place a special order is through our online store section. You can also call the store where you wish to pick the pie up.
- Questions about pies-that-fly
- We ship anywhere in the United States. Please see online store for when and how pies are shipped. For order-specific information, please reply to your confirmation email to reach our internet sales department or call our headquarters at (586)-749-2882.
- Can I purchase an Achatz pie shop?
- Yes, we are happy to offer our loyal customers the opportunity to own their own pie shop. Please fill out a customer feedback form!
My family loves your pies. My daughter prefers the cherry and says it is at its best at room temperature or cooler - if warmed up it loses its tartness. My son loves the apple. They are such favorites that during exam week, I buy their respective favorites - the entire pie all to themselves - just to give them a treat and reduce the grind of high school studies.
Sweet Potato Pies, I usually by the achatz pies from Whole Foods on Halsted in Chicago. My favorite types of pie are apple and sweet potato. I don't eat fruit pies because i do not like have taste for them. My favorite achatz pie is the sweet potato. It is amazing. But Whole Foods only carried it during Thanksgiving. And I noticed that the Achatz website does not carry it. Why? Can you all please let me know when you are going to make those again? Thank you.
Our granddaughter ordered the three pie special and we really love the two we have received. We think the cherry pie is the absolute best cherry pie we have ever tasted. We are both in our eighties so you know we have tasted a lot of them. The berry pie was also great.
I wanted to thank Achatz for having outstanding Customer Service (Renee Brown) and supporting the military community. After not being able to get a pie on veterans day, due to an early morning sell out (speaks for your pies), I was able to get a pie today with your help. I have been enjoying your pies every week and will continue to do so. THANKS!
I love Achatz Pie Company. I frequent the Ann Arbor shop and I am always welcomed with friendly faces and smiles :) The pies are absolutely delicious!!! My favorite is the Caramel Nut Apple Pie. I am a fan for life. Keep up the good work everyone and thank you for the wonderful pies that you create :)
In the Press
- Hour Magazine,
Pie's the Limit
- Ann Arbor Observer, The Pies Have It
- Bon Appetit, Thanksgiving Pie Baking Tips
- Bon Appetit,The Top 10 Best Places for Pie
- Good Morning America Weekend, Best Slice Finalist
- Edward Lowe Foundation, Michigan 50 Companies to Watch
- Food Network, Compilation Reel
- Co Founder, Wendy Achatz, was inducted in the Macomb Hall of Fame on 10/1/12
- Detroit Free Press, Achatz Pies to Greatly Expand Via Franchies
- MLive: Michigan's Best Pie
30301 Commerce Blvd.
Chesterfield, MI 48041